Thursday, April 17, 2014

A Really Good Friday

What a week.  After such a celebration last week you would think that was the final note, the end, the last tale, but alas I was not out of the woods yet.  In fact the chemo has been dragging the cancer out of me this week.....kicking and screaming all the way.  No one ever told me that cancer would be easy to beat nor did they say that it would go off without a hitch.  I just stupidly assumed those things.  This last chemo treatment went in without a fault and I got many congrats and lots of pats on the back, but the thing is that the treatment is only half the journey.  The rest of the journey is what it does to you on the way out.  I was living on the high of being done with my chemo regime.  Friday I taught all day, Saturday I had Keifer's (really great greek food) with my wife on a beautiful day.  I got to celebrate with my very good friend Adam in preparation for his wedding in a few weeks.  I was really living.  Sunday I knew would be the beginnings of the tough days so I took it slow that morning and then actually made my way to the MS Mu Alpha Theta competition.  I was the needed second sponsor for our trip and our high school brought about 25 kids so I came for moral support mainly.  Truly I sat with the students that were inbetween events or not in other events and tried to just stay chill.  I made it through Sunday without incident and really enjoyed my time with our Mathletes (Mu Alpha Theta is a math organization for high school and junior college students).  

Monday would be doomsday.  

Even with all the rest and relaxation I could ask for, the cancer was not ready to say I give up.  Around midday I felt Migraine 1 float into my life.  I sadly took my leave early from the math competition and traveled home to my bed, medicine, cold patch, and sleep.  I spent the next 3 hours sweating, writhing, and taking trips to the bathroom to be sick.  I barely ate that night and went ahead and called in sick for the next day.  In all the excitement, I completely forgot about an important meeting for my graduate project.  When it rains...it pours as they say.

Tuesday, the migraine hit at 8:30 and did not dissapate until mid afternoon.  That is when I got some truly quality sleep.  At this point however, I was exhausted from pain, nausea, and my room was covered in kleenex, ice packs, and pill bottles.  I called in Wednesday sick as well.  This time something different happened....I woke up with the migraine.  Another fun first.  Again the morning was spent on meds and trying to sleep, but at least there was not as much nausea.  Wednesday evening I was feeling much better, but also feeling like I had just been through a blender.  Thursday was my first attempt at going to school all day and it worked.  I took it slow and barely left my seat, but I got most of my classes caught up, but there were at least two scares where I just knew I was about to go down again, but I took precautions and actually made it through completely fine.  

Thursday ended up being a great day, because not only did we get our home professionally cleaned (we have a baby shower here on Saturday), but my dad also came and cut our yard for us.  So not only did I come home feeling like a better, healthier person, my house smelled wonderful and looked fantastic.  Then it was time for the season finale of Parenthood and I got to do my last podcast of the season with my good friend Axel.  Thursday was the turning point and now it is time to have a Good Friday.

I don't know if you have been able to read all my posts since I started blogging in January, but if you have I think you will have noticed a few things.  First of all I love Jesus, and I truly want you to know that it is because of Him that I have such a "positive" warrior spirit about going through cancer.  It is also because of Him that I live.  He is the one that delivers these ideas for blog posts to me and He is the one who deserves the credit for the "good writing."  Secondly, The Lord has brought some incredible things to light during my time of chemo.  Other survivors and fellow warriors are contacting me all the time to talk and encourage.  Students, have come to me with questions and concerns because someone in their family was just diagnosed.  I have seen things in me that I definitely need to change and I have been reminded that I have a chance to do that.  Another thing that you might have noticed while reading the blog is the impeccable timing.  I mean some of the greatest posts have come from the cancer being right on time.  How ironic right?  Or maybe it was the treatment?  Or maybe it is just God moving?  Either way there are a few that stand out.  Losing most of my hair, having chemo during the olympics, chemo on my exact birthday, chemo in the middle of my Spring Break, chemo on the same day as the most impactful episode of Parenthood of the season (I'm Still Here), and finally the end of all the suffering right on the day when all our suffering ended: Good Friday.

Impeccable timing God.  Or as Gandalf would say, "A Wizard is never late, He arrives exactly when he means to."  Not saying that God is a Wizard, I am saying that God has a purpose for everything.  Good Friday is good to us because it is the day that Jesus took our sins on the cross.  He took all of them so that when we stand before God with Christ as our Savior we will be clean.  We will be clean because Christ paid that price.  It is a really, Good Friday.  Not only do I feel great and know that the migraines are behind me, but I also know that Christ took all the sin suffering that I created myself and took that away today too.  He paid it all.  I owe Him everything.  

Celebrate your Good Friday and continue to Journey Strong.

1 comment:

  1. WOW Bryce! I came to get caught up on my newest Magical Blogorail friends and this was the first post I read. Beautifully written. Good Friday is good! :) I write over at A Disney Mom's Thoughts and am the full time youth minister at our church. I absolutely love what you have shared here!! More people fighting cancer should have your outlook. You will be in my prayers and I look forward to reading more! :)

    ReplyDelete