Tuesday, March 4, 2014

What's in a name? Part 1



"Hello. My name is Inigo Mantoya you killed my father....prepare to die" - Inigo Mantoya

"They call me Mr. Tibbs" - Virgil Tibbs

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius.  Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife.  And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." - Gladiator

"Sons of Scotland!...I am William Wallace!"
"William Wallace is seven feet tall!"
"Yes I have heard!  He kills men by the hundreds!  And if he were here, he would consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his ass!" - Braveheart

My name is Bryce David Yelverton

Do you ever wonder about the origins of your name?  My name is unique.  Bryce is not a name you hear a lot these days.  David you see a good bit.  Yelverton well yeah you don't really see a lot of Yelvertons either.  There is so much time, energy, and money that is thrown at picking the perfect name.  Some parents knew what they were going to name their children way before they even had kids.  Some think of a name on the spur of the moment.  Your name is so important when you really think about it.  When someone wants to be cleared of a crime or bad action they say, "clear my name."  Now that doesn't mean that we need to clear away any smudges on paper or rewrite the name, it means that our honor or our reputation has been broken and smudged.  Our name means so much more than just letters on a page.  Like just look at my name.

Bryce David Yelverton

Bryce - Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, or Scottish meaning

Anglo-Saxon - Son of a Nobleman
Celtic - Swift
Scottish - Speckled

Ok so I do have freckles, but I am not very fast.  I like the first meaning: son of a nobleman.  It shows more than just a fact.  Son of a person who is noble.  Son of a person who has power or wealth.  Son in a family where there is respect or high reputation.  Another cool thing about Bryce is that it is the name of a National Park in Utah.  Bryce Canyon National Park.  One of the most beautiful places I have ever been.  It was found by a group of Mormons traveling out West.  Their leader was Ebeneezer Bryce.  Thus the namesake.  It is not this fact that ties me to this vista though.  It is the fact that I am a massive Disney fan.  You are confused because how did I get from my name to a canyon to Disney.  See when Disney was working on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, the imagineers (the creative minds behind the rides and attractions) looked to Bryce Canyon National Park as one of their references for created Big Thunder, which just happens to be one of my favorite rides (and the wildest ride in the wilderness).  So when I think of Bryce, I don't think spotted or swift, but I do think about how I am secretly connected to that beautiful canyon in Utah and my favorite attraction in Frontierland.

David- Hebrew as well as many other origins

Hebrew - beloved, or friend

All the translations of the name David are beloved.  David has a special place in my name.  First off is sounds great with Bryce.  Just say it: Bryce David.  Some at my church used to call me that when I was little.  David, however, is much more than just a name to me.  I was introduced to King David when I was little.  He beat Goliath.  Always thought that was a cool story.  It was later in life that I found out that David didn't always do good.  In fact David screwed up a bunch too.  This made me like him more.  See David was a mighty king.  He did so much good for his people, but David also was an adulterer.  He stole someone else's wife and ensured the death of that husband.  David was a sinner and yet he is referred to as the man after God's own heart.  David did so many great things and paved the way for the leaders after him.  He was a great leader and a seeker of God.  And also he had blemishes.  David saw his short falls through the prophet Nathan.  He repented and asked forgiveness and sought after God for all his days.  How could I not love that name.  Life is not perfect and I make mistakes, but having a name like David reminds me that there is redemption in seeking God.  You see Bryce David, I see Bryce Beloved and Bryce Redemption.

Yelverton - a name of a town in Devon

Now besides being the name of a town where the Yelvertons originated, I do not know much about what Yelverton means.  But if you would let me take a different approach on the name Yelverton, I can show you why it means so much to me.  The Yelverton's are my family.  The name Yelverton means so much more than just a group of people.  The Yelvertons are some of most loving, giving, and caring individuals that I know.  When I think Yelverton though, I remember all the family reunions and get togethers that always felt like home, even if it wasn't at home.  I wear the name Yelverton with pride because those are my people (as Dolly Parton would say).  They are me and I could not be prouder of that name.

So there it is.  My name.  I do love my name, because it has so much of who I am embedded between the letters.  It has my love of Disney, my passion for God, and the legacy that created me all wrapped into three words.  But that name was not enough for me.  See I am funny about names.  This week I had an encounter with names and it truly rocked my cancer world.  But that story is for next time.  

For now, what's in your name?  What is hiding in there that shows who you are and what you are about?  What is your legacy?  

No comments:

Post a Comment