Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Final Countdown

When I began this journey with Hodgkin Lymphoma a few months ago, I really didn't know what to expect.  My father went through the same regimen for the most part, but even though I was very close to him during all that struggle, I was still not ready for the full "Cancer" treatment.  For those of your that really know me, you know that I am not a very patient person.  That goes for having patience and being a patient (see what I did there?).  Today was chemo treatment number 7.  If you remember my first treatment was on December 27th of last year.  That seems like an eternity ago.  That was even before I started my blog.  Now I am a veteran of the chemo ward.  Everybody knows my name there, just like Norm from Cheers.  I have now had the pleasure of sitting in all the different nooks and crannies in the chemo dock.  I have also run the gamit of side effects.  I went through hair loss, metallic mouth, exhaustion, nausea, and migraines.  I have had some of the worst days of my life these past few months, but I must say I have also had a few of my best days.  And you know readers, I really couldn't have had those best days without cancer.  Really think about that.  Our trials in life are what make life beautiful.  They are the things that expose us for who we really are.  A few years ago through a series of actions some good, a lot bad, I lost many of my closest friends.  It was one of the best times of my life, because it was so awful.  When my father went through chemotherapy I was in middle school.  Then my parents separated for a time.  Because of my dad's journey, I had a guide here with me every step of the way.  Because of that time apart, my parents love each other more today than they ever did, and they love us (the kids) better too.  I know I probably sound like a broken record by now.  Maybe I look at the bright side of life too much or maybe thats just the way God wants it.  Don't get me wrong, many days I am just ready for this to be over.  However, I can't help but sit back and think, "God what are you really doing here."  It has got to be good.

When I was in high school I was a part of the nation's #1 showchoir in America, Clinton Attache'.  I played trumpet in the pit.  Being in this group was one of the top 5 choices of my life (bet you wonder what the other 4 were).  We traveled the country competing and my class never lost a competition.  Now I get to see my students perform just like I did when I was there age.  There are three songs that were my absolute favorite songs that Attache' ever did.  Two of them I got to perform.  Gold by Prince and Separate Ways by Journey.  One of them I never played and that was The Final Countdown by Europe.  That's where I am readers.  The Final Countdown.  Can't you hear the music? (ba-da-da-duh, ba-da-dat-da-duh, ba-da-da-duh, ba-da-dat-da-da-da-duh).  One more treatment to go.  Wow.

But here's the deal.  Today we met with the doctor and I thought we were going to go ahead and place another PET scan and set the final treatment and talk radiation and the next steps, but that really didn't happen.  See we schedule the last chemo treatment for this time.  And we scheduled a scan for a month after my last visit, May 7th.  Then we changed some nausea med that I was getting to try to combat my migraines.  Thats it.  No talk about next steps.  Then I realized why.....It might not be over.  Some people can't talk about their cancer story and now I know why.  I can't imagine going back.  I can't imagine a recurrence of this experience.  But it happens....everyday.  After Carly and I were alone in the room after our doctor left, the tears came.  Not because I was thinking of death, but because I was thinking about life continuing with me visiting the Red Devil every two weeks.  But readers, I can't live like that. (cue the music)

It's the Final Countdown.

Oh and cancer and me are not done yet.  I have a bone to pick with it.  Don't think I haven't forgotten about the big announcements coming to the blog.  They are still coming.  Some of you think you know them all, but you don't.  I am seeing more and more why I have to go through this and I hope you continue on this ride with me.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complet, not lacking anything." - James 1:2-4

ba-da-da-duh, ba-da-dat-da-duh, ba-da-da-duh, ba-da-dat-da-da-da-duh

"Looking back at the road so far
The Journey's left its share of scars
Mostly from leaving the narrow and straight

Looking back it is clear to me
That a man is more than the sum of his deeds
And how You've made good of this mess I've made
Is a profound mystery

Looking back you know you had to bring me through
All that I was so a afraid of
Though I questioned the sky, now I see why
Had to walk the rocks to see the mountain view
Looking back I see the lead of love."  - Caedmon's Call - Lead of Love

It's the Final Countdown

ba-da-da-duh, ba-da-dat-da-duh, ba-da-da-duh, ba-da-dat-da-da-da-duh

April 10th - last treatment
May 7th - we get to see the hole where a diease used to be.


2 comments:

  1. Bryce - I love your attitude and I'm glad I was introduced to you and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Yelverton, you rock. You're so influential to my life and I hope God continues to work through to those around you. God bless you, and you'll always be in my prayers. Thank you so much for impacting my Spiritual walk with God and making Geometry the best math class I have ever taken!

    ReplyDelete