Friday, March 14, 2014

Spring Forward........Fall Back

Most people love Spring Break.  I am one of those people.  I have always had a Spring Break.  It is one of the many perks of being a teacher.  Ever since I was young, Spring Break has always meant vacation.  Mainly those vacations were in Disney World.  When I was in 9th grade, I went to Disney World with my good friend Geoff and his family.  It was epic.  In college, I went with a group of friends from Mississippi College.  That trip too was epic.  After college, Carly and I traveled to Disney World with my sister and her now husband.  Then yet another year we went with our good friends Steven and Chrissy.  Both trips were, as you guessed, epic.  This year there would be no Disney World.  Instead there would be chemo.  I love this time of year at Disney and really just this time of year.  Spring Break this year began with Daylight Savings Time, which is great that there is more sunlight after 5 pm.  I love long afternoons that extend into the evenings.  It is a grea time to have a walk or play some frisbee.  It is also a great time to be at EPCOT at Disney World.  EPCOT just started their annual Flower and Garden Festival, which showcases the Disney Park's green thumb.  You really can see the change from Winter barren to Spring bloom.

So what did I do on my Spring Break?  The answer is a lot, just not what I wanted.  Saturday and Monday were work days with my father and brother in law.  I married Carly for many reasons.  Her family was a bonus.  They came over and helped fix my front door handle and the front of our bathtub in the master bath.  Monday we installed a new microwave, replaced a busted headlight, hung pictures, fixed a hole in the fence, and I got the pleasure of visiting Comcast.  Tuesday I visited the Mississippi State Capital with my dad.  He works there when the legislature is in session and I enjoy learning more abou his work and visiting with his collegues.  Many of them have been praying for me and I wanted to say thank you and also show that I am alive and well thanks in part to their support.  Wednesday saw lunch at the Old Capital Inn for some Crab Cakes, some work on my graduate project for MSU, and some Settlers of Catan with my good buddy Adam.  I was one wheat away from victory. They should have let me win.....I mean I do have cancer.  Today saw the end of that.  Today was chemo treatment 6.

I agree that this Spring Break did have good times.  I was blessed by many of the experiences listed above and others not listed.  However, it was not what I wanted to be doing.  I wanted to be at EPCOT, watching the flowers grow, or the beach, eating seafood, or the mountains, watching the sunset over the Smokies.  This week kind of reflects the experience I have had with cancer.  Yes there are good moments and good memories.  Yes I am learning and growing and truly thriving in this treatment process.  And yet it is really not where I want to be.  

A new list of things that I hate about chemo:
1.  I literally dread the saline solution used to clean out my port before and after treatment.  Everytime I drive by the Cancer Clinic on I-55 I feel the metallic taste in my teeth and gums.  It truly is terrible.
2.  I hate. I repeat, hate the drip machine.  beep, beep, beep, beep, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP.  Yes the alarm gets louder when it is time to reset the timer or cut it off.  I almost threw it out the window today, which would have been comical because I would have gone out the window with it.
3.  I hate the Red Devil.  After 6 treatments, I feel the nausea.  Its a different nausea though.  Instead of being intense, it is a dull nausea.  Like I just can't shake it.  I actually asked the nurse today if anyone cried when the Red Devil was going in.  I promptly held back tears.
4.  I hate feeling groggy afterwards and really just like a pile of dump.

But see back in the day, I had a great youth minister at my church.  Her name was Jan.  She has since passed away.  On every youth trip with her we would sit around at night and play good and gripe.  Everyone said something they hated that day and something they liked.  Your goods had to be greater than or equal to your gripes.  So with that here are the good things about this week:

1. fixed door and microwave
2. much needed hours of doing nothing
3. lunch at both Two Sisters (fried chicken!) and Old Capital Inn(Crab Cakes!)
4. lunch before chemo with our great friends the Sharpes and their 5 amazing kiddos at Chick fil a
5. listening to acoustic guitar Pandora while talking with my wife
6. listening to EPCOT background music with my wife while driving around running errands (yes I married the right woman, and yes if you want some EPCOT background music just ask)

So there the goods out weigh the gripes.  Sometimes its great to just have a little perspective.  Life will always have the Spring Forwards and the Fall Backs, but we have to keep the positives.  I could sit and complain all day about my metallic mouth or the nausea  OR I could laugh it off and know that I am getting healed.

There is a season for everything under the sun.

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:    
a time to be born and a time to die,
 a time to plant and a time to uproot,    
a time to kill and a time to heal,    
a time to tear down and a time to build,     
a time to weep and a time to laugh,    
a time to mourn and a time to dance,

a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.  - Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

Now it is a time for something big.  BIG NEWS coming soon to the blog.  You can go to my website bryceyelverton.blogspot.com and subscribe to the blog with your email, simply type your email address in the blank on the right side of the page.  Keep waiting for there is a time for everything and soon it is time for ACTION!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry that you are having to go through chemo treatments. I went through that with my best friend, and it was horrible watching her suffer and feel so sick afterwards. Some of my sweetest memories are of our times AT chemo, though - so I wouldn't trade those precious moments.

    Thanks for sharing your positives from the week too!

    ReplyDelete